Great Training just doesn't happen, it is a process.

Great Training just doesn't happen, it is a process.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Wk2-Response to reading-Tria Hong

http://tria0072.blogspot.com/

My first impression of the reading assignment for the book "The Art of Possibility" was "really?" I mean I am very happy that we are given the opportunity to read a book that is not at all like the traditional textbooks or assignment readings that I have experienced in the past for my collegiate experiences. But I am shocked that I get the opportunity to learn about myself in relation to my experiences in college - a self help book sort of genre. Nevertheless, the first three chapters were very enlightening.

Photo excerpt by Mike Grenville

After getting over my initial shock, I valued the use of storytelling to help me become aware of the themes or ideas the authors were presenting. Hearing the story about the water rapids and reading (but feeling like your listening) to the story she shared about hearing the mantra about "nose to toes..." and then finally being placed into a position where it all clicked was refreshing to hear from an adult stand point. I liked learning that even small instruction can be vital and helpful for adults. And that essentially my students might not have to live a full life to find value in what I teach them and those lessons can be used literally of figuratively in life.
Photo by ~jacky~
Find the boat. My take from this statement is that in situations where you feel that you can't find your way out of the bubbling, drowning feeling that trying to be an instrumental part of life can sometimes make you feel; there is a way out ...find the boat. I only wish I knew how to tell when I am drowning or just floating beneath the surface. And when I find the boat, will I be to shallow and want to hold out for the yacht to save me?

Another chapter introduced a term or practice that was quite interesting as well by discussing all the different possibilities that we have in the world as "Its all invented." I came away with the sense that if I believe it it will come true. Even as hooky as that sounds there has been instance after instance that proves that mind usually triumphs over matter. So far this practice, even though very daunting, is the most beneficial one that I need to try to implement in my life immediately.
Photo by Susan Byars

Giving an A was mind boggling concept for me in that we see ourselves in the reflection of others. I always thought that it was a choice. Maybe some people can see beyond those labels while most cannot. One of the better quotes from Rosamund and Benjamin Zander in the giving chapter is, When you give an A, you find yourself speaking to people not from a place of measuring how they stack up against your standards, but form a place of respect that give them room to realize themselves. Your eye is on the statue within the roughness of the uncut stone. This A is not an expectation to live up to, but a possibility to live into.
And the letters that was written in response to why the student received an A for the course was amazing. I would love to be able to try this concept in my school, but unfortunately I don't think it would go over well. But maybe for a unit or assignment ...baby steps would work. The true goal of learning is ascertaining the skill. Your optimal grade doesn't truly show how smart you are but how well you knew what the teacher wanted. I like to reach my students and make them see infinite possibilities in themselves and this would definitely help bridge that gap. We invent who we are and I want to give them the idea that we are who we make ourselves to be ...it's all invented.


@ Tria Hong


I appreciate your insights and what you said about learning about yourself.  I agree, this book has been like that for myself.  I keep thinking, ok, how is this going to relate the course Media Asset Design?  I am still trying to find that out.  I was thinking about implementing, Giving an A, also for my classes and I think I may try this at the new school I'll be teaching at this year in Cairo, but probably just for my senior class. 


That is a great quote to take away Tria, "One can not live a full life if they live the shadow of bitterness".  We are often so angry, unforgiving, unloving and bitter that we will continue to be burdened.  This quote from the book is very biblical where Jesus said in Luke 7:47, " ....He who loves little has been forgiven of little."  We are unable to love others because we have the bitterness, unforgiving attitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment