Great Training just doesn't happen, it is a process.

Great Training just doesn't happen, it is a process.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wk4-Reading




As I read through the chapter, lighting a spark, motivation of my students comes to mind.  I think about how they way, my body language, voice, comes across to my students.  I think about what I would do next time, and openness, the language to “enroll” my kids into the program, really see their need to do the work that was necessary to accomplish lesson goals.  I would say emphasizing the purpose of the lesson. 

The next chapter, being the board, taught me to reassess myself rather looking at others to blame.  The story of Cora was truly impacting, because he took the road of analyzing his situation and seeing what he could have different as a person involved in the trying situation.  This taught me with my students and even people that I have a responsibility in the way I react and treat others.  I may not have control of what they do, but what I do is always in hands.  

2 comments:

  1. Christian,

    I totally agree with you. This was one chapter in the book that I can agree with 100%! I think we do have the power to motivate and we do have the power to make choices that can lead us in positive directions. You make a good point that its not just about what you say, but how you react in your body language and tone of voice. Those messages confirm or disprove what you are saying with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard,

    Great point about checking your response to students not only in words but in your body language and tone. Students pick up very easily when we are insincere and we lose their trust. My youngest son is sensitive when it comes to interacting with his teachers. If he senses that a teacher will anger easily or be sarcastic in her answer he will withdraw. If he is in a safe, nurturing classroom he thrives.

    I had a class this past semester that challenged me every day. Individually they were all great kids but the mix was toxic and it was very difficult to get things accomplished with the group. There were days when I would lose my temper and then feel like and idiot. We did have some conversations about ownership and cooperation but only after I let them get to me. Enrolling the class early on and giving them ownership may have helped the situation.

    ReplyDelete